Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Finally


For a very long time now Jonathan has wanted to learn to play the guitar. So last year for Christmas we got him an electric guitar. Who knew that trying to find a teacher would be such an adventure. Not ME!!!!
So someone gave us the name of a guy that lives in Riverside. I called a couple of people that I thought might have known who this guy was. I should have listened to Kathleen Hall when she said he was ok but her Chris didn't really learn anything from him and they moved on. That should have been my clue to just keep searching, just keep searching. So no. Well I call this guy, funny how his name escapes me, probably a good thing. He says how he loves to teach, that he's played in bands and is currently playing in a band. I of course think, cool, Jon will love this. NOT happening. We go out there for his first lesson, the walk up to the door was a little scary, the yappie ankle biting dogs were not impressive, yet the bells didn't start going off in my head until I realized the teacher was the oxygen sniffing old guy!!! I kid you not Jon just looked at me like this isn't for real is it? Sadly I just fake a smile and say "Have fun" and I leave. I should have been reported I know. So I wait and in 30 minutes go back in and get him, I tell you the guy talked our ear off for another 20 minutes and played me bluegrass!!!!! I could tell Jon was not the least bit impressed. When we get in the car and he starts TRYING hard to find nice things to say I know it's a lost cause. So I try to keep it positive and just say it will be better and I know he's hoping he doesn't have to go back. The next week the teacher calls and says there's snow on the road and he won't be doing lessons until it's gone!! I kid you not and I'm thinking we live in Idaho for crying out loud and it's January. Truly Jon was relieved and praising us when we said he didn't have to go back there. Ok maybe we thought we heard praises, probably not, but I have to find redemption for leaving him there somehow.
Fast forward a year.
He still really wants to play and has been trying on his own, with help from Frank to learn a few chords. So I decided to just call a place in Idaho Falls. Imagine Jonathan's surprise when we told him we had signed him up for lessons at the Violin Shop in Idaho Falls, hahahahahahahahaha. For real that's where they hold lessons for alot of instuments. His first lesson was last week and I was so impressed and better yet he didn't suck oxygen and Jon thought he rocked. There is a new rock star in the makings at the Paice house.

No comments:

Post a Comment